Pages

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Chug This Truth

Barbican; the drink in question.

HALLAL

HARAM

Hypocrisy at its best. 

I can't decide whether these corporate monkeys think we're really that stupid, or whether this is what we want, because apparently beer culture is so popular, that it has taken root in the Middle East. The Islamic Middle East. The same region of the world that still practices honor killings, stoning and polygamy. Yep, that's the one.
To set the record straight, I am very much a member of the "Live & Let Live" party. If you're not doing anything harmful to yourself or anyone else, then the best of luck to you. As people, we're all born with free will and the ability to make choices. The factors that influence those choices is another topic entirely, but at the end of the day, we always have a choice. Not to say it's always an easy choice,  or if there even is a "right' choice. However, I digress...
Barbican. I remember this drink from when I was a kid, seeing the adverts on MBC (Back when it was only one channel), and staring in awe at all that testosterone-fueled fun. Now, this is what's up; anyone who knows me from any platform in life knows I like to have a good time. I like to just kick it with friends, do pointless things, if only for the heck of it. A buzz kill I am not. However, why not represent the female youth of the Middle East? Surely, we can find time in between all the laundry and labor to have a fun-filled weekend with the girls, no? Is it too much to ask, to see some equal representation of young women in the Middle East? The most frustrating part is that we are either represented in a terrible light (Headline: Father kills Muslim daughter for running away, etc.) or stuck with no representation at all. This attitude only further fuels the West's negative image of us, and why wouldn't it? It's not like anyone out there is doing anything to prove then wrong. We seem to be oppressed, neglected, and like the masochists we must be... We are enjoying it. All the while, advertising agencies continue to glorify men by serving up what can only be described as beer without the sins. Seriously?
Bottom line: This isn't an attack against men; it's a protest aimed at advertising agencies that uphold tired and drawn-out stereotypes. This is a plea from one Middle Eastern... OK, Canadian/Kind Of Arabic woman, to any woman reading it out there: We need to fight this together. Something needs to change, and it should start with us. Women.

Next week, I'm unzipping Queen Rania's pants. I'm am so over her, you have no idea.

(Here's a video montage of the drink's commercials. Frankly, I'm quite tired of this glorified image of Khaleeji bachlerdom. How about some equality to go with that brew?)


This has been the first installment of "Taking The Pants Off Patriarchy". Hope it was good for you too.


Asking you to line her eyes not poke them out,

S.

PS - Let me know what how you feel about Barbican and what it represents. You know where the comments are.

5 comments:

  1. The worst thing to happen to beer since Bud Light with Lime. Barbican is everything bad about beer, and their marketing sucks. Men don't like doing the stuff they do in their ads by themselves. There has to be women present. Major fail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate the drink and everything they represent. You however, are the best thing to happen to Blogger since Corona met lime. Oh yes Bodie, I'm well versed in alcohol culture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love this post.

    A post on sexism has been requested by one of my readers, except I haven't the idea on how to address it without sounding like a measly feminist (yeah... derogatory at its best) but you! You tackled it from the just the right angle.

    I'm simply in awe.

    Now to get back to the post, I couldn't agree more. Women are somehow only included when it's a home product/cosmetic ad. (Pads? I mean seriously, just stop. STOP!) It's really infuriating. You'd think they would let slip all the overbearing sexism that goes on every day for one good wretched ad of us having fun. Of course not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Considering this post has been my "baby", my piece de resistance if you will, I am so incredibly humbled by your words.
    I find most people are turned off from Feminism because they've come to equate it with man hating, which it is not. Pop culture and a few poorly chosen spokes-people have muddied the true purpose and origins of Feminism. Stick around with me, and I'll break it all down on my bloggity.
    Again, I can't express how much I appreciate your support. Thank you. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. By all means, tackle a post on feminism. I'm quite intrigued to see it in another perspective.

    And anytime! :D

    ReplyDelete