Pages

Sunday, November 21, 2010

Oh! Canada.. (Really?)

Forget recycling; this is patriotism folks. THIS.


 "إنت و اخوك على على ولد عمك, إنت و ولد عمك على الغريب"

Now, it's no big secret that Canada (and Canadians) are often taken lightly. Our (yes, OUR) culture and identity are frequently mocked, ridiculed and degraded by just about anyone. Today, I found myself in the midst of an all too familiar scenario: Several people talking smack about Canada around me.  Me, The Expatess, a fiercely loyal Canadian (if only in spirit these days). Without any substantial argument made, all my Kuwaiti peeps could really do was refer back to how "lame" Canada was. How we are insignificant, lacking in a bloody history of unwarranted wars, how we don't own any weapons of mass destruction, how we pronounce it "Aboot".... All I can say is, REALLY? This is why you don't like Canada? Or maybe, it's just fun to make Canadians fume when you ridicule their country? 
I don't mind the jokes and ridicule; Canada's history speaks for itself, and our identity as a fair and just nation is well-known and irrefutable. Therefore, whenever ever people feel the need to wage a war of words against my true love, Canada, I am more than well armed. But the thing is, my problem with this has nothing to do with Canada. Opponents of Canada gain momentum by pointing out the things Canada ISN'T. If I were to point out the things Kuwait IS, I'd be facing a hoard of very angry (and rather hypocritical) Kuwaitis.The same Kuwaitis who mock other Kuwaitis, who mock their own culture, their own youth, their own people. Okay.
Lesson of the day: We'll mock you, but you can't mock us. Unless you're one of us. Preferably a first class citizen. Literally.

Keeping her mouth shut for the sake of maple syrup,

S.
PS - Any thoughts?

4 comments:

  1. you cant share thoughts, because once you say it, its no longer thought, but said.

    g day

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous - Whatever you say, or should I say... think?

    Ali - I know, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admire Canada's fairness and equality to its citizens. The diversity is really amazing. And people will always talk smack, they think it's some sort of distorted patriotism.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unfortunately, that it the reality we live in today. Patriotism, much like Feminism, has lost its true meaning.
    Canada is flawed, but it gave me a lot and it's far better than many nations in the world. While I wish I could take credit for their awesomeness, I can't. However, I can thank you for the kind words. Merci pour tout tu ecriv! :) #itry

    ReplyDelete