Pages

Saturday, August 28, 2010

If Does Not Mean When



If I were a boy.

If I were indeed a boy, my life would be very different. I could come and go as I please, bust my way into Ministry buildings, demand immediate attention, be brash and rude only to have it shrugged off as me just being a "reckless young man." I could spend hours in my friends' dewaniyas, just hanging out and goofing around, because KU requiring a lower grade percentage for each faculty in the male division means I wouldn't have to kill myself to ensure a future that will be waiting for me. A future that sits there waiting for me to finish living up my bachelor days. A future that hears no evil, sees no evil and certainly will not speak of past evil. If I were a boy, I would be immune to society.
Should I decide to grow up, I'll have a mother eager to see her son married.  A father proud to see I've settled down, and eager to see it happen. Arrangements could be easily made. I wouldn't have to worry about the consequences of my past behavior because no one cares to pass judgment when you're a boy. 

I'm not a boy. 

S. 

No comments:

Post a Comment